Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Leftover hamburger patties

After our annual Fourth of July Block Party, we had stacks of leftover frozen hamburger patties. I thought it would be nice to jazz them up with homemade buns. The goal was a chewy crumb with a slightly crisp exterior. Turning to my bread bible, the original Artisan Bread in Five Minutes, I decided on the buttermilk recipe. Initially, we thought it was too wet/chewy for sandwich bread and too bland for cinnamon bread, but this might work for buns.

We started with a simple knot (using 1.5 x 8" lengths).


It baked at 425 degrees for about 20 minutes. Yes, I like using my range grates as cooling racks. Less dishwashing = happy mom.


Then it was sliced and lightly broiled.


And the frozen Costco patties were garnished with homemade bread pickles, grilled onions, tomato slices, and lettuce. Yummy :)

0 comments: