Monday, October 16, 2006

Whiplash Accessories Entry -- A mini wallet tutorial

I've loved the generosity of many in the blogging world for their tutorials, so here is my attempt at one (please bear with my writing style and some of the crappy photos...my sewing machine is literally under a flight of stairs).

This is a basic tutorial for an "envelope" type purse, which can be adapted for many uses.

The first step is to figure out the desired dimensions of the finished product. Then with mental math or a trusty calculator, calculate the fabric size following these guidelines:

width: desired width + 1" seam allowance
height: desired height x 2.5


You will need two pieces (outer and liner) and one of interfacing (cut about 1/2" smaller all around) -- I like using the heavy duty kind.












Putting the right sides together with the interfacing behind, sew around the edges using using 3/8" seam and leaving a 4" opening. Trim the corners for less bulk.












Turn inside out, making sure the corners are nice and square (I like using a big fat knitting needle) and using fingernails or an iron, press.












Evaluate which end would make the more attractive flap and then top stitch the opposite end (I usually add a shop label here).

Fold up the bottom edge to the desired height and pin in place. Starting at the bottom corner, top stitch up the side, around the flap and down the other side.


Add a snap closure and it's all done! It's great for a cash, "feminine products", eyeglasses and etc.


This is my official whiplash entry in the tutorial category.

whipup

17 comments:

Kari said...

Great tutorial! I've been wanting to make a business card case, and you just saved me all of the trouble of planning! Thanks! (Also, ADORABLE fabric, I love it!)

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Thanks for the tutorial - I will definitely make one of these. And I agree that your fabric choice is adorable!

rachel said...

Great tutorial. I will have to try these out.

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial, Quenna! I just have a couple of comments:

1. You sew under a set of stairs? That's pretty cool! Sounds like a nice cubby to have all your sewing stuff in.

2. You consider those BAD pictures? I think they look great!

3. I use a chopstick to turn my stuff. I've often thought someone should come up with something that looks like a chopstick paint it a cool color, call it a "corner turner" and sell it for big bucks. :o)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial, Quenna! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try making one of these.

Anonymous said...

ooh! thanks for the tut! i can't wait to try one!!!

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial! I've made a couple of these for gifts and they are a wonderful use of small pieces of left-over fabric. My fingers are crossed for you to win.

Heather - Doodle Acres said...

Can I ask where you get your shop labels?
Thanks,
Heather

amy turn sharp said...

awesome- thank you!

Fabi Sehnem said...

Thanks!!!
Love it.

Unknown said...

this is adorable. i can't wait to try it! thanks!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I love this purse! looks very comfortable! and very easy to do! I love it!

Anonymous said...

i loved this purse
thank for share

Trabalho em Casa

detroit metro said...

Bravo!!! really good information. Thanks for the interesting and informative post, I find your work really inspiring.

eLLe said...

wonderful tutorial! thanks!

Elliott Broidy said...

These are so darn creative. I love new things to sew. There is always something new to try!