Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Quilted potholders



My previous potholders were wedding shower gifts (early 1990's) and stained beyond belief. Three kitchens later, I finally get around to sewing ones to match my blue and white decor. I pieced two coordinating prints vertically (the scripted one has an incomplete apple pie recipe) and then sliced them horizontally. Since the apple pie print is a unilateral design, I made a mirror image of the first patchwork (i.e. one piece had the blue on the right and the other had it on the left).




They were sewn together with a checkerboard design. I quilted them following the seam lines and the with a free handed leaf outline for fun. In between is a thick cotton batting.




They are backed with a linen-like quilted fabric. It seemed like the right shade for hiding the inevitable cooking stains. A little loop was added in the corner.

Note: these were stained within several days use :/

1 comments:

teresa said...

I'm so glad to see that you are back! You are an inspiration!

teresa