Thursday, February 21, 2008

My version of the weekender bag: front panels

I thought it was best to start with the easiest part, the front panels. I wasn't planning on matching the pockets with the panels, but it was simpler than I thought it would be. Here is the outer front, which has three pockets with the extended shoulder straps to also act as dividers.
Here's a little time saving trick....what I call a mock piping (especially if you want a more subtle look). Basically you cut the lining about 3/8 inch (or double what you want for a width...but don't overdo it or it will look floppy) and sew the seam. When preparing for top stitching, just extend the liner so it's exposed. I love how it just provides a bit of contrast. I'm still trying to figure how to do this with the front panels -- it's tricky since it has already been cut without any extra allowances.
For the shoulder straps, instead of interfacing, I used a 1.5 inch wide nylon strap so it would be more durable (and less cutting!). I didn't have enough material for the entire length, so I combined two pieces joined by a bit of the outer fabric. I think this will hide the stains better too.
For the back front panel, I wanted a single wide pocket (for magazines and etc). At first the strap would extend to the bottom in one piece, but that would limit it's accessibility. Whenever I needed something, the strap would have to be dropped.....so I decided that the illusion of a single strap would be better. Basically the strap ends behind the pocket and a mock one continues on the outside. I wasn't sure if a pocket this size would wing out, so two baby magnetic snaps were added. It's a bit wonky since I forgot to add them before sewing the straps down -- they need to be reinforced with hand stitching later.
Below is a closer view. The straps were sewn the the "X" so it would be more secure.
A few other project notes...I used Peltex by Pellon which I *think* is slightly thinner than Timex. Joann's only had the double fusible one, so I added another layer of interfacing. Generally, I abhor fusible interfacing, but this one ironed smoothly without any drama. I actually preferred it since they were both cut to the actual size (no seam allowances) to decrease bulk -- no pins are needed now.
Next: the lining....

4 comments:

Muddling Through said...

That really is looking beautiful. You do excellent work!

I think this is beyond my skills at this point. Maybe later:) Thanks for all the "how-to's"!

~Elaine~

mommiemarzie said...

LOVE IT! You are soooo cool! I'm very impressed and jealous of your sewing abillities. :)
-Kathy

maia (glassbeach) said...

The way you solved the wide pocket/floppy strap dilemma is brilliant. And your matching skills are...unmatched!

Christy said...

Thank you so much for the Peltex suggestion. I have purchased the double fusible last week. I did not think to fuse it to another piece of interfacing. I did her madison bag with the Timtex and it was all wrinkles after sewing it together. I was hoping this one would be different. Not so much. I love the idea about the zipper around the perimeter. I agree that it is too deep to be really useful. Thank you again!
Christy

sewyourheartout on flickr


http://www.flickr.com/photos/21573978@N05/2278757544/